Monday, April 28, 2008

TWINS (Story)

There was the rustic smell again that morning. It bothered Akash. It wasn’t the first time he got so nauseous. It was 7 o’ clock in the morning and he had to catch up at his office desk before 9 o’ clock. He went to wash up. He took his toothbrush and applied some paste on it. His left hand went for the light switch but there was no electricity. It was the same as almost everyday for past 7 days since his almost twin brother Raghu had moved in from his home town. Akash was too occupied with his work to care to talk to him. He had tried his best in the past. And it was time he learnt that some things are best controlled by letting them lose. There was little light in the bathroom. And the smell bothered him a lot. The smell was of the puke still not flushed in the wash basin. He could feel the taste of whisky and kerosene in that smell. He grew more nauseous. He put the tooth brush inside his mouth and he vomited. And he kept wondering about the amount of undigested food he had in him. It was like he vomited a pound of plain, raw and dry sugar cubes. He couldn’t feel his throat or mouth. For a second he felt like as if he was pouring off the sand once he did with his brother in the kindergarten while playing castle and queen on the huge mountain of sand that was there in front of his home. He remembered the crazy old man who would be half naked yelling at them to move away from the sand piles. And when they ran away from the crazy old man to their home Akash’s mother would bath him, feed him and tell him that the crazy old man was the guard of the fenced area where there was a 7 storied 3 star hotel now. Raghu never felt hungry and was a lot smarter than Akash during childhood. He would bath and feed on his own and did all his works without any help from their parents. Akash was jealous of his abilities and Raghu was jealous of the affection Akash got from their parents. Sometimes they fooled people with their appearances but they couldn’t play their twin thing for long as after a few seconds people always found out the difference in the two. Also their behaviors were always different. Raghu was more aggressive and direct while Akash was thoughtful and shy. After half an hour he came out from the bathroom and undraped all the windows for sunlight to come in. And then he decided to talk his brother out of the bad habits. If Raghu wouldn’t listen to him he would throw him out of his house. He was determined. He went to the kitchen to prepare some coffee. The coffee pot was full. He was too tired and preoccupied in his mind to wonder whether he drank coffee the day before. He took the pot and put it inside the oven for heating it quickly. While he was shutting the door of the microwave oven he saw the reflection of his face on the door. He saw his face. He did a little combing with his hand on his head and then felt good about looking so good. He remembered Tania, his coworker. There had been a lot of vive going between them since last 7 days. They were interested in each other and he had been planning to go on a date with her. Since last 7 days he had been spending more time in his office as he didn’t want to come to his home and face the little awkward moment with his brother who still was asleep over the alcohols of the night before. Somehow Akash considered the arrival of his brother a good sign. He was never able to charm girls before. Tania had been a one year crush for him and after all these time his dream was about to be fulfilled, he thought. As he recollected his past memories he remembered how Raghu’s presence gave him courage and energy always. Anyways, this time he wouldn’t let him go without a fight. There is always a boiling point of brain. Thinking about Tania he felt a little relaxed and hence he talked himself out of being angry and direct. He went to his dresser to pick up his suit for that day. He put some suit on and stood in front of window. Looking at himself all his anger vaporized. He took a closed eye moment and took a long breath. When he opened his eye Raghu was standing behind him. Akash panicked for a second. But then he recomposed himself.

Akash: Coffee is in the pot besides the oven. Go have some.

Raghu: Sorry for the mess in the bathroom.

Akash: That’s Ok. (He wondered how he could say that.)

Raghu: I was in the bar last night. I found some old friends in the city.

Akash: Oh, I see. So how is your job hunt going on?

Raghu: Not good. Got rejected at 3 interviews.

Akash: Sorry. Hang in there.

Raghu: Thank you.

Akash: Anyways, I have got to go. You will be OK?

Raghu: Yes, sure. You carry on.

While Akash was at the door, Raghu spoke to him- “I met Miss Tania yesterday near the complex. She mentioned about you. She is a nice girl”. Akash went blank for around 10 seconds and while he took his time to understand the phrase he got stuck at the reply he would give to Raghu. In his mind he was thinking – Raghu met her, complex- which complex, what did Raghu do with her, what else did they talk, she mentioned about me – awesome, what did she mention about me, of course she is a nice girl, but why did Raghu say so, what was Tania doing there, why did Raghu say these to me, is he a nice guy, is he threatening me, is he making fun of me. He stood at the door thinking all these. Raghu asked, “What happened?”

Akash: No, nothing. (He was afraid to turn around)

Raghu: Seems like you are a little iffy.

Akash: Which complex did you meet her?

Raghu: Why? Near the old airport.

Akash: No reason.

Raghu: OK.

Akash: What did she talk about me and what was she doing there? What did you talk to her? And what did you do?

Raghu: Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Calm down. Calm down. She thought I was you and she talked to me. Looks like you like her too. (With a winking). Want to hear everything?

Akash was almost dumb founded. He tried his best not to blush. He was thinking – how come Raghu is being so friendly, was he always friendly, why am I not so friendly, what did he mean when he said she likes you too, does she like me, really, is Raghu playing a game with me, how to say that I want to hear everything.

Raghu: Let me paint a little picture for you of what happened last night.

He described everything which goes like this.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tania: Hey Akash. What are you doing here? You left so early today.

Raghu: What?

Tania: Anyways, I was about to leave. Rita didn’t come. We had planned to watch a movie tonight. I was thinking of canceling my tickets. But would you like to go?

Raghu: Sure.

Tania: Whoa! You look handsome in the Tee. I was always afraid to tell you that you looked boring in your suits. I didn’t know whether you wore anything else.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Akash: Why didn’t you tell her that you are Raghu.

Raghu: What crime did I do? Listen, do you want to hear everything or not?

Akash: Yes.

Raghu: We went to a coffee shop.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Raghu: Yes, I always wore T-shirts when not working. Anyways Tania I think I have made some impression over you in all these time.

Tania: (surprised and happy to finally see Akash talking directly, she blushed a little but flirted back). Are you flirting with me?

Raghu: What if I said “yes”.

Tania: Then I would say “continue”.

Raghu: (Laughing) I am so so so sorry. I am really sorry. I will go get Akash.

Tania: What? I like this Akash more. Don’t be like the boring Akash.

Raghu: I am really sorry but I am not Akash. I am his twin brother Raghu. I hope he mentioned about me.

Tania remembered the name Raghu from one of the conversation and was surprised, ashamed and angry. She said, “What?”

Raghu: I am really sorry. (Still laughing). Akash is right behind this coffee house. In the parking lot. We were just roaming around the city.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Akash was unable to comprehend anything. He got flashes of scenes and voices. He gathered guts and asked, “What the fuck is going on? When was I roaming with you? What did you do next? Are you playing with me?”

Raghu: (Still Laughing). Dude, you are so fucked up. You are such a loser. Wake up. I think you are still drunk.

Akash: I am not drunk. You wake up. You come here. You make a mess of my home. You talk to my girl friend. You can’t even find a job for yourself. You are fucked up. What else did you do with her?

Raghu: (Laughing). Dude, wake up. Look around. Is this a house? Is the thing you do is called a job? And don’t accuse me of doing anything to your girl friend. What ever happened last night, she wanted it. I told her I am not Akash but she is such a nice girl. (Laughing)

Akash: (Screaming). What did you do with her? Tell me, what did you do with her?

Raghu: We slept together. You should know for future that she is real nice.

Akash went crazy and threw his bag at Raghu and jumped on him.

After 5-10 minutes he found himself on the floor with a pool of blood. He realized that Raghu had beaten him. He couldn’t see. He couldn’t hear. Everything was going in circle and then he saw a flash of the crazy old man who would shoo him and Raghu away from the sand piles during his childhood. The crazy old man would say, “Hey crazy boy. Get away. Tell your mother to tie yourself at home.” He was comforted by some soft hands. He gathered that he was being taken to the hospital. A doctor was screaming around him and a nurse was cleaning his head with a towel and applying pressure at hi injured head for blood to not rush out.

After some unknown period of time Akash woke up in his bed. There were 11 stitches on his head. His head was wrapped with bandage and cotton. His left arm was plastered. He felt pain and weakness. He went to his balcony without thinking about anything but Tania. He found a packet of cigarette and a lighter on the balcony chair. Those reminded him of Raghu. He panicked for a second but lighted a cigarette and sat on the chair. Someone from the other end of the balcony said, “How are you feeling now.”

It was Raghu. Akash stood up.

Raghu: I am sorry. But I had no other choice.

Akash gave up and said, “Why are you doing these things to me?” and cried picturing Tania sleeping with Raghu. Raghu gave a hysteric laugh and said, “Am I doing those things to you? Am I playing with you? You are a born loser and you need my help.”

Akash: I don’t need your help.

Akash realized that Raghu had took him to the hospital and took him back to home from hospital. He said, “Thank you for my head and thank you for my treatment. Now please go away”

Raghu: Don’t thank me. Thank Tania.

Akash felt pain and anguish for hearing Tania’s name from Raghu’s mouth but he was curious at the same time.

Raghu: She found you in the living room. She took you to the hospital. She took care of you there and she brought you back. Wake up Akash.

Akash closed his eyes unable to understand anything. Then he saw flashes in front of his eyes. His childhood friends teasing him. His father scolding him. His mother crying. Tania smiling at him. Tania kissing him. The crazy old man taking him home from the sand pile while he was covered with blood and pain in his head. He remembered how he had fallen from the wall on which he was running on it. He remembered his leg being fractured due to that. He had forgot about all of these. He opened his eyes.

Raghu: That’s right.

Akash: No.

Raghu: (Laughing). You are such a fuck up.

Akash threw the chair at him. Raghu sided. The chair hit the wall with a thud. Someone screamed behind Akash, “Stop it. Stop it Akash. Stop it”

Akash was thrilled with the touch of soft hands. He turned back and there was Tania wearing a nighty. Her hairs were about her face. He saw her one eye. The other eye was shining from behind the hairs. Her ear rings were flashing, the same ear rings that he picked up for her on her birthday. She was scared and her face was red. Tears falling from her eyes were shining her cheeks and dimples. He remembered how he had forgotten her beauty. Tania stood still holding Akash’s hands as tight as possible. And she said, “Look at me. It is all right. Don’t be afraid. It is all over. Look at me. Don’t look back. It is all right now. Everything is over. You are fine now.”

Akash tried to turn back at Raghu who was still laughing. Tania took his face in her hands and said to him, “There is no one there. You are fine.”

Akash turned back and saw Raghu jumping from the balcony. He freed herself from Tania and saw from his 7th floor balcony. He saw a chair falling down. There was no sign of Raghu. The chair fell in front of a woman and she looked up at Akash and screamed some words that he couldn’t hear. He turned his face left. Tania was looking at him. He wanted to measure the distance between his eyes and Tania’s eyes. He felt her breath on his face. Her tears had dried leaving a trail behind. Sunlight was falling on half of her face. Her lips were pink and her teeth were white. He thought he was looking at the softest thing in the world. He took his face away for a second. Her lips sealed her mouth and curved to give a mischievous smile. The woman on ground who was still screaming looked above clearly and intensely and she stopped yelling. Her face became pale and she walked away.

A few minutes later.

Tania: Are you OK now?

Akash: Yes.

Tania: Can you tell me which movie did we watch that day?

Akash: Dead Man’s Chest.

Tania: Then what we did?

Akash: I remember everything now. We met a friend of mine who invited to his bar and we went there. I proposed to you and you said yes. I got heavily drunk there and you came with me to my home. I fell on my bed and you gave me a goodnight kiss.

Tania: And? (With a smirk)

Akash: (Looking at her eyes). And you said you would go back to your home saying that you would come the next morning. But you stayed with me all night.

Tania: (Smiling). Are you sure?

Akash: I am awake now.

7 comments:

HOCUS POCUS said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

nice try to give the old story an indian spin but don't you think this tyler-marla trash has been recycled a zillion times?

ashona111 said...

@ bineet

sry i had to delete ur comment coz .. u had taken away the suspense of the story ...

@ zaphod
hehe .. u are absolutely correct .. does zillion+1 makes a difference ... i always wanted to write such a story ... and tell me how many ppl know abt tyler and marla ?? the story is worth it .. thats it ...

t2mretro said...

though a lil tried and tested formulae..the story has its moments..

K said...

I enjoyed reading it. Nice work.

Kabeer said...

Nice .. and as always different ) ... do compile all these yaar ... inko padke lagta hai ki we are in a different world which all of us have seen :) ..

Abhijeet said...

yeah desi flavor to Tyler story...well written but..even took me a few lines to get to know you were heading that way...gud job!